Monday, July 20, 2015

All About this Kinder Teacher!


We are a rare breed, huh! Along with some of my new kindergarten teaching friends from our Kinder Tribe facebook group, I have joined the Kinder Tribe collaborative blog! YESSSS!!!

http://kindertribe.blogspot.com/

Our own Yukari from A Pinch of Kinder designed everything herself! It is absolutely gorgeous, and I am SO excited for what is in store for us! 

Besides our huge amazing blog launch giveaway, we are going to be having weekly linky parties for all of our kinder tribe friends! 

The first one is All About this Kinder teacher! Let's learn more about each other! 

http://kindertribe.blogspot.com/2015/07/all-about-this-kinder-teacher-first.html
 Here is a little about me...


Name: Deirdre (thought I'd add in a little prounounciation as well!)

Years Teaching: I will be going into my 5th year! One in 2nd, one doing a K/1 split, and now 3 years of alllllll kindergarten! It is definitely where I want to be!

I can't live without my coffee and "looks." I have one of those faces that doesn't hide what I'm thinking very well, so it can be hard to keep a straight face sometimes. I have my looks that I will shoot to one of my fellow teachers that just says it all, something to let us know how humorous our lives really are. Plus coffee, of course. Or I'd be asleep by 10.

My favorite school supply is hands down a nice smelly set of Mr. Sketch markers. They bring me back to the days when I was a kid, longing for my teacher's markers. They look gorgeous on charts, and brighten up everything. I have a set in my "superstar bin" for my kids to use when they table has earned points for excellent behavior! They love this because they know they CAN'T touch mine!

My favorite Kinder book is a tough one. There are SO MANY! My kids are always like, "How do you have so many favorites?" Don't know what to tell ya, kid. I'm going with Circus Ship by Chris van Dusen. It rhymes! It has incredible illustrations! There is some I-spy action going on! It is also inspired by a true event, which is a great starting off point for using our experiences as inspiration to write. If you don't know this one, I'd HIGHLY recommend it!

My favorite Kinder blog is Tara West's Little Minds at Work. Boy, can she teach! My school is very academic-focused, and all of the activities she shares are perfect- rigorous, yet developmentally appropriate and engaging. She is my go-to when I am looking for curriculum.

And I love kindergarten because they grow SO MUCH. I have mentioned before how at the beginning of the year, I refer to my class as a bunch of Jon Snow's the first few weeks of school. They come to you knowing nothing of your expectations, they are not used to a full school day, some have never been in the school building before and don't respond to their name. The first few months are rough, but then they soar! They learn so much and grow as people and learners. It is so rewarding to see a girl who came to me not knowing a single number and was too shy to say a word to me until October leading a math talk! First grade sees a lot of growth too, but nothing is as amazing as kindergarten!

So that's a little about me, I'd LOVE to hear about you! If you haven't already, head over to Kinder Tribe to join in!


33 comments:

  1. Yay Kinder Tribe!!! I truly don't know what I would do without caffeine!! And I don't plan on finding out :) Love learning more about you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wasn't actually a coffee drinker until about 2 years ago... Now I can't go without! Sipping some right now :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Deirdre! So excited to meet you & be part of our new "kinder family"! I'm really looking forward to sharing & collaborating with you and our "tribe"! I love your blog!
    Annie Veas ~ The Learning Studio Bug :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved getting to know you, Annie! We are going to do some great things together!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  3. So excited about this KinderTribe! I've never read Circus! One more book for my wish list! I'm looking forward to learning with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited too, Stephen! It is a great one, as are many by Chris van Dusen! I am glad we are all on this journey together!

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check that book out...I've not heard of it!!!

    I'm so excited to be a part of this kinder tribe. It's so special to me already!

    OH, I've got to know where you got those fonts. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO GOOD! The fonts are both KG- Two is Better Than One and Eyes Wide Open! Be careful- KG fonts get VERY addictive!

      I'm so glad we started this tribe! It has been amazing!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  5. Love your post! I have one of those faces that gives away what I'm feeling too! It is always getting me in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Palma! It is so hard to control!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  6. Deirdre I'm so glad to have met you and become friends through this journey!! I too must have daily caffeine, but mine comes through soda. Not much of a coffee drinker, I know it's shocking!! I agree that it's so hard to choose a favorite book, my kinders can never believe how many books I have in my library! I love me some Flair pens, too!
    Thanks so much for sharing more about yourself with us! #kindertribe

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, you are the best! I have loved getting to know you over the last few months! I'm loving our #kindertribe!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  7. Your looks! Hahaha that's awesome. I have definitely mastered the one-eyebrow raise over the years! My boyfriend reminds me when I am giving him "a look." It becomes habit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha once when my husband was being silly I must have given him my teacher look and he was like "wow, THAT is what your kids get?" I find myself giving it to unruly kids at the store too- it works!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  8. Seriously, isn't Tara AMAZING??? I have learned so much from following her! I am looking forward to getting to know you and collaborating this year!
    My Fabulous Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so great! My primary team uses her close reading religiously!

      I can't wait for us to do great things this year!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  9. Hi Deirdre! (So happy you gave a pronunciation) Looks like we have some similarities, like we both taught 2nd grade, as well as Kindergarten! So excited to follow your journey this upcoming school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abbie!

      I figured it was time for some pronunciations! My Gaelic name isn't an easy one!

      Second grade was fun, but nothing beats K!

      I've loved getting to know you! Your blog posts are so helpful, I can't wait to see what you do all through the school year!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  10. I am absolutely loving the fact that you helped us out and gave us a little phonetic pronunciation! Oh and I just love Mr. Sketch Markers too! Opening a new pack each year just warms my heart! So glad your are in our tribe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it would be helpful! Mr. Sketch are my favorites- I have a new pack ready to open in a few weeks! Thanks for stopping by!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think all of the kinder tribe is obsessed with Mr. Sketch :) and I forgot the coffee!
    Hope you have a great school year!
    Casey
    Grow and Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!?! They are so amazing! Like coffee!

      Thanks for stopping by! I'm excited to learn from each other this year!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  12. Deirdre- Oh my word- you had me laughing when I read the word "looks" because I already knew what that meant. I'm so guilty of "RBF" and wearing what I'm thinking on my face. I literally communicate with my best friends through looks during planning and faculty meetings-usually leading to laughs. You sound like you would totally fit right in with us. Haha :)

    Thanks for giving us the pronunciation of your name. I always read it again and again before typing it when I comment. That might make me lame! lol
    Love reading your post!
    Marisa
    Yee-Haw in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ridiculous RBF! Our team is like that, too. We have our own language!

      Thanks for working hard on getting it right! I honestly am so used to it being pronounced and spelled oddly- when I go to starbucks I just tell them "Dee."

      Thanks for stopping by! I'm excited to learn from each other this year!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  13. I keep seeing a reoccurring theme of coffee and smelly markers. I think many of us run on those two things. Haha! I'm also the same way about "looks". My teaching partner and I can have a whole conversation just based on looks across the playground or passing in the hall. :) Loved reading your post and learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! We all seem to thrive on them! That's another skill teachers need- those nonverbal things that speak volumes!

      Thanks for stopping by! I am so excited for our tribe!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  14. We are definitely a rare bread!! We are just crazy enough to love spending 8 hours a day with 20 or more 5 year olds!! I am continually amazed at how much my kinders grow and learn throughout the year!! I have loved getting to know you through this #kindertribe, facebook, blogging, TPT and IG journey!!
    Jill
    Chevronandcenters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to be cray to do it! But the world needs crazies like us!

      I'm so glad we've been able to connect! I can't wait to see what the school year has in store for everybody!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  15. Deirdre- Thank you so much for the shout :) it means to much coming from you! Have a great back to school!

    Tara West

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara,

      Thank you so much for stopping by! I am constantly in awe of your amazing ideas! Thank you for sharing them with the world- they have definitely helped me be a better teacher!

      I can't wait to see everything your class does this year!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  16. Deirdre- Thank you so much for the shout :) it means to much coming from you! Have a great back to school!

    Tara West

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deirdre- Thank you so much for the shout :) it means to much coming from you! Have a great back to school!

    Tara West

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't start my day without stopping by and grabbing my coffee. I am a big Dunkin Donut fan. Their coffee is Heaven! The smelly Mr. Sketch markers are so much fun!! Excited to meet you and being a part of this Kinder Tribe.
    http://123kteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete