Thursday, June 25, 2015

Share & Prepare: Sight Word Lists and Letters

I've been out of school for two days now, and I already have no idea what to do with myself! So, time for more linkups!

Today I am joining Marie from Once Upon a Classroom for Summer Share and Prepare! Teachers share some of their favorite creations, while they get new ideas and prepare for next year. What an excellent idea!

http://twoteacherperspectives.blogspot.com/


Today I am sharing one of my go-to's for sight word assessment and practice. It recently went through my "Makeover Madness," so it's much better looking now!

Have you ever sent home a set of sight word flash cards? 52 cards on a list? I can just imagine what a parent is thinking- what do I do with all this?

A few years ago, a teammate and I came up with a solution to overwhelming kids and their families with crazy lists. The 220 Dolch words are split into 22 lists of 10 words. Each list has 2 parts: a letter to send home and a practice list for school.


The left side is kept in their cubbies for practice during word work. One favorite is "Stamp it Out." I love it because no one is bored practicing words they already know- they each have their own list they are working on.


The right side is a note for parents, giving them the next 10 words their child is working on. This is a reasonable number to work on, and I also send home a list of activities that they can do to help retain sight words. Once their child is fluent with reading/ recognizing/ spelling their words, they sign and date the paper and send it to school. I then assess the little reader, give them a fancy schmancy sticker, and they graduate to the next list.

I made a super simple assessment sheet to go with the lists. It is one sheet back to front, and is broken down by list. I add the date and in anything I noticed (such as this one having trouble with her "w" words). 






Along with the 22 word lists and assessment sheet, I recently added some parent letters (what are sight words, how my "system" works, and activities to do at home to practice sight words)and flash cards (2 of each word on the list). Click the picture below to check out the preview!



https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Sight-Word-Lists-and-Letters-All-220-Dolch-Words-1923692

Want to try this pack out? Leave a comment to win a copy! 

Can't wait? Grab it here




a Rafflecopter giveaway

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great way to practice sight words! I love how you broke it down into different lists, and they get to keep one at school and send one home! I bet that really helps your kiddos to retain their words! Thanks so much for sharing, it would be awesome to win something like this!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! What a great idea for practicing sight words!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works well for me! Thanks for stopping by!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  3. I usually introduce a sight word using Heidisongs great songs or I just make up a song! After that my student do lots of reinforcing work on paper such as rainbow writing, choosing the word from a grid with distracters, use the word in a sentence, etc. I also send home a card with the word to practice at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using songs, too! We do breakfast in the classroom, so I always show some youtube videos as we eat. I do a lot of sight word work during centers, thanks for the new ideas!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  4. Great idea - Even in 2nd sometimes I have students that still need practice with their sight words. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing! Would love to meet you at a Chicago meet-up sometime.
    Marie
    Once Upon a Classroom: A Teacher's Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting this link-up! I really loved learning about everyone's products! Hopefully we'l meet at the next one!

      Deirdre

      Delete