Monday, June 15, 2015

Must Read Monday: End of the Year Favorites!



TWO. MORE. DAYS.
The end is near. Wednesday is my last day with my babies! This has been a LONG YEAR, and I am ready for the much needed break ahead. 

One of my big summer goals is to blog more, and I am starting a little early to link up with Suzanne from Kindergarten Planet and Alex from Kindergarten Connection for Must Read Monday! My favorite topic! 



For the kickoff, we are talking about some of our favorite books for the end of the year. Here are a few of mine:


This is one I just discovered this year, but it will be in my rotation for a long time. I am a messy person. I try SO HARD to stay organized, but I just can’t keep it together. So when I saw Mrs. McBloom, CleanUp your Classroom! By Kelly DiPucchio at the library, I picked it up and loved it! We read this last week, and discussed how we don’t want the “babies next door” (i.e. pre-k kids, many of whom are siblings to my kids) to have a messy room next year, so we have to pitch in to help Mrs. Garcia clean it up and make it perfect. It was a cute story, and drove the point home that many hands are better than one.

 Of course, there is this one. We read Dr. Seuss weekly, because he's one of my favorites, and Oh, The Places You'll Go! is no exception. This one is a little above most of their heads, but my students do appreciate the Seussical illustrations and melody of the words, and I need the reminders in those last few crazy days of what is in store for my babies. 

This may not be a traditional  end-of-year book, but I always read Knuffle Bunny Free at the end of the year. We are big Mo Willems fans in 110, and this one provides a sense of moving on, growing up, and gives a sense of closure to the year. The epilogue is great, too, and reminds me that I will get to embark on this journey again soon (and so will they)! 

What are some of your favorite end-of-the-year books? Link up to tell us about your favorites!

*Product links are provided for convenience. I am not affiliated with Amazon*



6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your favorites Deirdre! I think I really need Mrs. McBloom, Clean Up Your Room right now! We are out on Wednesday too, and I am feeling like I have a ton of clean up to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for creating this link up! I love talking about books! I still have two more "teacher days" and a ton of clean up- maybe I should have read this sooner!

      Deirdre

      Delete
  2. Hi Deirdre! I am so happy you joined in to share some of your favorites. I just learned about two new books from you and am excited to read them for myself! I also like how you made cute designs to display your books. I may have to do that as well!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming up with such a cool idea! I love making things cute :)

      Deirdre

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your book choices!! They are all such great reads!! Who doesn't love Knuffle Bunny?? My kinders love the illustrations! Thanks so much for sharing such wonderful literature!!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    www.kinderdragons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knuffle Bunny is SOOO good. Basically anything Mo Willems. We got a HUGE Donor's Choose grant for Mo Willems books last year, and my kids are obsessed. We actually used Knuffle Bunny as our lead into story elements- it has such clear cut problem/ solution, it works out so well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Deirdre

      Delete