Saturday, April 25, 2015

Five for... Saturday!


Just a little late, like usual :) I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Saturday Friday!






We have really rocked out addition and subtraction this week! This is my first class ever that naturally took to subtraction better than addition. We went over different ways to solve problems (they came up with it all- fingers, rekenreks, counters, draw a picture, count on), and they were able to use their method of choice during independent practice. They really did well! One of their favorite (and helpful) stations this week was subtraction bowling. I've seen all kinds of cute ideas on pinterest, but I needed something practical. Using a freebie from Mrs. Ricca's Kindergarten, we set up our "bowling pins" aka eraser caps and knocked them down. My little heroes LOVED this one, and it really cemented the concept of subtraction. They even started playing it during choice time.










We had so much fun reading different versions of Goldilocks for the last few weeks! They really loved being able to retell the stories in different ways, and we were able to compare the experiences Goldilocks had in each of the different versions. We added some Goldilocks themed sentences into our language center to extend the fun! 







On Thursday, we had our second sight word and vocabulary challenge! Our kids LOVE THIS!

Each class chooses 3-4 competitors, who go up and we go around the world style reading the word until someone misses, and they sit down (but they get a goodie bag  so it's all good). K-2 goes through the Dolch lists (we made it past the nouns and were into content words when our winner was chosen). The third graders didn't compete because they know their sight words, but they did a vocabulary challenge with content vocabulary words. The winner from each grade got a trophy. Did I mention ALL of the winners were current and past students :) I am so proud of them. 






 We are working on sending our 8th graders to Washington D.C., so we've been having a ton of fundraisers. My favorite this week was the 3rd-5th grade dance that I chaperone. Usually, only 6-8th grades have the fun, so we decided the younger grades need some fun too! We called it a "party" instead of a dance, but it was a lot of fun! The kids were so excited, and were dressed to the nines! it is strange seeing my babies growing up (tear), but I'm glad they had the opportunity to let loose after all the ridiculous testing they've endured (and still have to) this year.

If you're able to help our eighth graders meet their goal, please visit their GoFundMe page!


Myself and some very cool bloggers have something wonderful up our sleeves....stay tuned next week!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Deirdre, I LOVE your blog design! It's funny that you mention your class taking to subtraction better then addition because my class did the same. I love the bowling idea. It sounds great for movement too which my kiddos need. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love your new design, too! I did see another idea on pinterest with plastic bottles to make a BIG subtraction bowling set up! Sounds like something fun to do now that the weather is getting better!

      -Deirdre

      Delete
  2. I love retelling stories with my students too. Using books like Goldilocks, where they have so many variations, makes for great conversations!
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had so much fun with it! It's been a HECTIC few week so I haven't gotten the chance to write about it yet, but we moved into versions of the three pigs, which I think they loved even more!

      Delete
  3. Hi Deirdre! Me again! I love your blog and I nominated your blog for a Leibster Award! You can read about the nomination on my blog here: http://kindergartenplanet.blogspot.com/2015/05/liebster-award-woohoo.html
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete