Saturday, April 4, 2015

April CURRENTLY

So I've been reading and loving "Currently" posts for awhile, so I thought I'd join Farley for the April edition.



Pretty self- explanatory.

Seinfeld is awesome. So is my cat.

Spring Break has been a much needed rest. I love my kids, but ya know, absence makes the heart grow fonder :)

While my break plans include a whole lot of nothing, the quarter ended on Thursday, so there is so much to get done before going back on Monday.

Today I had to get an infected cyst looked at :( I had to have a steroid injection, and I'm on antibiotics, so my body feels really gross right now. Hopefully this is a quick recovery!

I guess my need is more of a want, but I could really use a good work bag. I've been using this beauty since 2010!

I got it on clearance when I worked at Nordstrom Rack for about $25. It is perfect. It has glittery leopard print. It is big enough to hold all my crap stuff that I will need for the day (laptop, lunch, book, 5,000 lipglosses). It is comfortable enough on my arm to not kill me on my hour-long commute to work. But it's falling apart. Even my husband suggested getting a new bag. And he doesn't do that.

I've been on the search, but can't find one that I like. I am very particular. It has to be huge and non-leather. And my style. And not millions of dollars. So the search continues.


And lastly, and my favorite- my name. This year we were forced to adopt a classroom theme. I've never done one before- my room was eclectic, with lots of polka dots and bright colors, but no real theme. I was resistant at first, but now I LOVE my superhero theme. I can incorporate the design elements I love (pop art, hello!) while keeping it all cohesive. For the first time, I have a majority of boys in my class, and they love it. I managed to make it girly, too, so my girls like it. Check it out!

Best of all, it lends to some great character development. We discuss "hero choices," and remind ourselves of what a hero would choose to do. We discuss courage, and standing up for what is right. We really emphasize hard work, and working towards being "super scholars." Does a hero give up when things get tough? Nuh uh. Does a hero ask friends if they need help? They sure do! Does a hero get back up if they fall down? YES! I really love this as a way to stress that it's not about being perfect, but you can be super by doing your personal best.


4 comments:

  1. Found you from the Currently link up. Your blog and classroom theme is brilliant! I checked out your classroom post and it looks absolutely fantastic, well done you!

    Butterflying Through Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! I'm loving how it turned out! I'm excited to start this whole blogging thing, can't wait to start reading yours!!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog via Farely's link up! I have been using this Vera Bradley bag (but I bought it on super sale!!) for my school bag for the last two years and it has held up like a champion- I'd highly recommend it. (: http://www.verabradley.com/product/get-carried-away-tote/marrakesh/1000945_201059.uts?parentCategoryId=1087&subCategoryId=1104

    Also, I'm super interested in the fact that you HAD to have a theme. I am like you, like to a T. Polka dots and bright colors, plus student made charts, signs, etc. Maybe I will think about a theme for next year, though. I like that you could incorporate positive behavior strategies using yours!

    Melissa
    seebeanteach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by! I just spent about an hour on the Vera site.. I'm not really a floral person so I never considered looking there, but I saw a really sweet leopard one that I love... now to wait for a sale! Thanks for the suggestion!

    The "having" to have a theme was a little off-putting at first, but I grew to love it. I think the key was finding something that I liked. A few of my friends picked a theme because it was easy to find, and they don't really love it. I almost had a Dr. Seuss theme just so I could keep the dots :)

    ReplyDelete